The two-story facility features Douglas Fir timber frames and energy efficient structural insulated panels. The grade of the site allows entrance access on both levels of the 11,480 square foot building. The sanctuary seats approximately 300 people and has a striking cathedral ceiling.
Other spaces being utilized on the upper level are the narthex, rest rooms, council room and nursery. Classrooms, fellowship hall, and a non-commercial kitchen are currently under construction on the lower level.
Rev. Kevin Hossink reports that since the first service was held in the building late in 2008, several families have become members and a few more are regularly visiting. The new building has provided new opportunities for the congregation to reach out to members of the surrounding community.
“Thirty children attended our VBS program last summer followed by a church picnic after the Sunday morning worship service,” he adds. “Several Bible studies for all ages are held. We reached out with Christ-centered benevolent care to a couple in the community who had a pre-mature baby with long-term health needs.”
The congregation of about 50 families meets for worship at 9:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Sundays in the new building located at 1043 County Route 12 in New Hampton (Orange County), NY.
The above article by Glenda Mathes appeared on page 10 of the April 11, 2012 issue of Christian Renewal.